Back to School

August 17, 2013


5:00 am is early. I have yet to decide if coffee will be a part of my morning routine. For one, I have no coffee pot or french press. Two, I have yet to find a decent creamer, which is a MUST considering I like coffee with my creamer. Three, even my apartment is hot in the morning and coffee should warm you up, not cause you to sweat. Perhaps I will finally meet my goal of liking green tea...

Up at 5:00 am and out the door by 6:00 am -- that was my routine this last week. There are many options for how I could go to school. I could walk, bike, or take an ojek (motorcycle taxi). If I decide to walk, it takes me about 20 minutes. The walk is beautiful, especially if the sky is fairly clear and you can see the sunrise. The downside to walking is that one arrives to school a bit sticky.

My first few days of school were interesting with many surprises: students calling me by my first name (its going to take some adjusting to), students still working after the bell rang, and students thanking me after class. Despite the many differences of teaching here in Indonesia, there is still some things that remain the same: students ranging from jocks to nerds, boy students crushing on me, girl students asking how I do my hair, and many students full of insecurities. I'm praying this week is the beginning of a year full of God's work in the lives of all those students who sit in my desks.

Here is what a typical day looks like for me:





Entrance to the school with security guards
Junior School

Senior School
Basketball courts I supervise at lunch
Outdoor hallways
Cool stairs!
The hallway my classroom is located in 
My classroom



5 comments:

  1. Walking is definitely frustrating when you get all hot an sweaty, especially in that climate I'm sure! But that walk sure is gorgeous. Could you ride a bike on that same route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can ride a bike, but probably on the road next to the walking path because there are giant tree roots!

      Delete
    2. Oh but you still get the pretty view right? Maybe riding would be better cuz you'll get there faster and be less sticky but it'll still be a nice experience/ view

      Delete
    3. Definitely, I am just trying to decide whether to buy a bike or a motor bike! Hehe :)

      Delete
  2. Slightly sweetened Iced green tea is a great humid/hot morning picker-upper and is easy to gulp down, but only 1/3 the caff of coffee, black tea is 1/2, but if you need to stay hydrated drink up ;)
    And I vote mountain bike... and you should make a sweet ramp.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger