A God Who Sees

August 10, 2011

This summer has been far different than I ever imagined. It has been difficult in many ways. I have experienced heartache and pain deeper than any other I can recall in my life. The hurt was so strong I did not know how to handle it. How could I get release from this anguish? It was during this time I met another woman in affliction--Hagar.

Genesis 16 describes Hagar as the Egyptian maidservant of Sarai, Abram's wife. Now, Sarai was barren and "in the legal custom of that day a barren woman could giver her maid to her husband as a wife, and the child born of that union was regarded as the first wife's child" (Bible Knowledge Commentary). As a maidservant I don't assume Hagar had much say about her life, and according to the story, Sarai gave Hagar to Abram to be his wife thinking perhaps she could build a family through Hagar. Sarai's plan was successful for soon Hagar became pregnant. If Hagar had a son it would be regarded as Sarai's son and so Hagar began to despise Sarai. In turn, Sarai mistreated Hagar. Eventually, Hagar was so afflicted she fled into the desert.

I must admit, if I was Hagar I'd be upset too. She did not choose to marry Abram, to become pregnant, to possibly lose the baby growing inside of her to another woman, to be mistreated. It seemed a bit unfair! I see a bit of my own life in Hagar's story. I did not choose to experience the trials I am going through. Sometimes I feel as if it is unfair. I don't understand why I am being put through this. My affliction is heavy upon my soul and I want to release it, to flee.

The story continues with an angel of the Lord finding Hagar in the desert. He asked her where she had come from and where she was going and Hagar answered she was running from her mistress. Then the angel of the Lord told her to go back and submit to Sarai. He also said, "You are now with child and you will have a son. You shall name him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard of your misery" (Genesis 16:11a). Hagar then replied, "You are the God who sees me . . .  I have now see the One who sees me" (Genesis 16:13).

God heard and saw Hagar's misery. He did not say her feelings were invalid. He met her and recognized her pain. The Lord desired so strongly for Hagar to know He realized her suffering that He told her to name her son Ishmael, meaning God hears. Her son's name would be a constant reminder. God also told Hagar to return to the situation which caused her affliction, but this time she knew God would be with her. Hagar was a woman in affliction, I am a woman in affliction, God saw Hagar, and God sees me. I may not understand my suffering, but I know I am not alone. It is such as comfort to know God sees my pain and hears my cries! I no longer wonder how to release my anguish I know what to do. I must take it to the God who sees.

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those crushed in spirit" Psalm 34:18.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger