God's path is not always the short path

August 16, 2011

This summer I have been reading through the beginning of the Old Testament and have been captivated by some of the stories. One story in particular which intrigued me was of the Israelites trek out of Egypt.
"When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, "If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt." So God led the people around by the dessert road toward the Red Sea. The Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle." Exodus 13:17-18
After reading this passage I was confused. If the Israelites went up out of Egypt armed for battle wouldn't they have been expecting a military confrontation? So why did God say if they face war they would change their minds and return to Egypt? Even the other path God led the people on had a military confrontation, Pharaoh changed his mind and pursued the Israelites with his entire army (Exodus 14:8-9). The people ended up wanting to return to Egypt anyways saying "It would have been better for us to serve the Egyptians than to die in the desert?" So why did God not just lead them on the shortest path?

As I pondered these questions I couldn't really come up with any solid answers, except God knew best. Perhaps the shorter route would have led them into a bigger army than Pharaoh's army? Perhaps "armed for battle" means an organized march, not ready for military confrontation with armor, bows, or arrows (Bible Knowledge Commentary)? Perhaps God knew that the story of the Red Sea would leave the Israelites no room for thinking they had any part in saving themselves from the Egyptians? Perhaps God knew his miraculous parting of the sea would glorify Him more than simply giving victory in a battle? Perhaps God knew the crossing of the Red Sea would be a monumental memory testifying to His power that would be passed down from generation to generation and recorded in Scripture? Perhaps God knew the long path through the Red Sea and desert held necessary lessons for the Israelites to learn? Perhaps God knew the long path would cause the Israelites to fully rely on Him for everything including their very food and water? Perhaps God knew the long path would display His glory and character? Perhaps God knew the trials in the desert would display His continued faithfulness? Perhaps God knew the long path would teach not only the Israelites, but future generations up to a young 22 year old woman in the year 2011? Perhaps God knew best?

I like the short paths in life. They make the most sense to me, I understand them, I know why I am taking them. I'm learning though that God's path is not always the shortest path. I'm learning perhaps God knows the short path has something I cannot handle on it. I may think I am armed for battle or prepared, but God knows I am not. Or maybe when I take the short path I struggle with thinking it is "me," and I begin to be self-reliant. Maybe the short path, does not bear the trials which God is going to use to teach me. Perhaps the short path does not bring as much glory to God as the long path? God knew best in taking the Israelites on the long path, and I trust the same is true for me. I can't question God when He turns me around from the short path to a longer one, I must trust He knows best.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger