A Memory Revived

August 22, 2011

When I was a little girl, my dad use to tuck my siblings and I into bed every night. Sometimes he would give us horse-y rides to the bedroom and sometimes if we talked real sweet he would read us a bed time story like the Little Gingerbread Man or sing us to sleep. However, one thing that never failed to happen before he kissed us goodnight was prayers. Some nights we would each pray and other nights we would say a prayer together, like the Lord's prayer. One passage of scripture that we prayed occasionally was Psalm 23.
"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and  your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil, my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will well in the house of the Lord forever. "
This was one of the first passages of Scripture I memorized and I could almost say it in my sleep. This summer, it has taken on a whole new meaning to me though. Never have I considered its words to be so comforting and precious. It speaks of who God is, what He does, who I am, and what my response should be. 

God is my shepherd, the one who watches over me, over all my life and needs. He guides me to green pastures and quiet waters--good things. He does these things, not just for me, but for His glory. God is looking out for my best interest, fulfilling my needs, and guiding me to good things. While this is true, it doesn't mean my life will be void of troubles. Even though I experience troubles--the valley of the shadow of death--I do not have to fear anything. God has made me lie down in green pastures, and lead me to quiet waters. I already see that He is good and trustworthy. Thus, I don't have to fear. God is with me, using His rod and staff. As a shepherd He uses His rod and staff to guide and protect me. I find comfort knowing that even though I walk through trouble, God is guiding and protecting me. If He is watching out for me I have nothing to fear, no evil.

I must admit I feel as if I have walked through a valley of the shadow of death or two in my life. When I'm there it is awful, it is painful, it is scary. Sometimes it seems like more than I can handle. I search for ways to forget, to alleviate my pain, to comfort myself. The world offers a variety of options like alcohol, drugs, violence, medications, relationships, cutting . . . The truth is though, none of those will take away the pain or bring the comfort they promise. They only make the valley floor deeper and the mountains steeper. What brings comfort and removes fear is God the shepherd, His rod and staff. He is there in every valley of the shadow of death I walk through, guiding me, protecting me. He is saying to me:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
I can cast all of my cares on God (Psalm 55:22) because he is " [my] refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble, therefore [I] will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging" (Psalm 46:1-2).

No matter how dark or big the valley of the shadow of death may be God is with me. He is guiding me and protecting me as my shepherd. He desires to bring me to green pastures and still waters. So in my valley I won't turn to what the world has to offer, I will turn to God. He is right there, He hasn't left me. Oh, what a wonderful Shepherd I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Nudge Media Design | Powered by Blogger